Friday, January 23, 2009

New Book Has Officially Began

Well, after reading the response that my brother Brian gave me after my final posting of Klinker, I have officially started my new book. This one should be a lot of fun to write and I am doing so with the intention of writing a true novel I can be proud of. While I am only a few hundred words into it, I have a strong plot figured out and am really looking forward to the first chapters. I am going to take my time with this book, but intend on setting a goal of approximately 1000 words a day. Additionally, while I would like to print the entirety of the text here, I am only going to note my progress as this is a book I hope to eventually get legitimately published and sending to the web could cause issues. I will be happy to note my progress however and post parts of it on occasion so you get an idea of what is happening.

Okay, about the story. The story will be set in modern times, though I am not really sure of the exact location. It will be the Midwest (simply because I am most familiar with the area). It may even be Fort Wayne (and as I type this my home city becomes legitimate as a setting because of some of the things in this town). The main character, named Scott Garvey, is a normal everyday guy who happens to love old books. One day he finds a dusty old relic at a used books store, and while it is water damaged and torn, he buys it simply because of nostalgic appeal. The book however, sets off a course of events which curses Scott. As he attempts to learn what he can he suffers the progressive misfortunes dictated within the book and source of the 1900 century child's nursery rhyme:

Solomon Grundy,
born on Monday
Christened on Tuesday
Married on Wednesday
Took ill on Thursday
Grew worse on Friday
Died on Saturday
Buried on Sunday
That was the end of Solomon Grundy

I've always been fascinated by the poem and as I was sitting, thinking about what I could write about, this poem came to me and I thought it would be a good story. I want it to me steeped in riddles and mystery. I've got an active imagination and wanted something less "real life" than Wyatt, with a bit more intrigue and excitement. I also wanted a solid plot, something people could sink their teeth in to. I hope this does it.

I would love to hear what you think about this particular plot line and story direction. Words of encouragement would also be appreciated.

1 comment:

Brian Bristol said...

sounds like a cool plot to me. I'd buy it if the description on the back of the book was well-written.