Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween

The last day of October is upon us. It seems like October flew by (like most months these days). Tonight I get to take the kids out trick-or-treating. Angie decided to go scrapbooking (seeing as she hasn't been in over a month and I had no problems offering to take the kids out. I think we will probably go out with some friends of ours then head back to their house to play for a bit. They have a little girl the same age as Gracie and she really has a good time playing with her.

Balin is dressing up like a pumpkin this year. Grace is dressing up as a witch (with pink hair no less). She was really excited when we bought her costume (even though I hated shelling out $20.00 for a stupid store bought costume. Gracie is at that age where she wants to be like all the other kids and while she would have taken a homemade costume, she is really happy about her witch outfit.

I think next year I'm going to dress Balin up like a wolf and Gracie, Angie and I like pigs. I think it would be funny trick-or-treating as a family dressed up like the characters from the Three Little Pigs. I think it's fun doing holidays as a family and I know Gracie likes it. Next year Balin will be mcuh more mature and will really start to enjoy stuff like Halloween.

My Nanowrimo project has really hit a snag. I talked to Mom last night and she suggested I write about myself. I even had a title picked out: 50,000 Words, Stories of My Life. The more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea. It would be easy to write about myself as I've had all kinds of stuff go on in my life that I could waste time writing about.

Then I looked at the Nanowrimo rules. The work has to be fiction. Yup, not real life stuff. It has to be material that is original and all made up. Now at first I was a bit perturbed by this and didn't really understand. Then it was explained that part of the excercise was to work your brain and come up with imaginitive storylines. So, I get it. That doesn't make the fact that I have no plotline for my story any easier to accept. I'm looking at just under 14 hours to figure it out before the clock starts.

As I mentioned earlier, I always talk about wanting to write yet having no real motivation to do so. I do work incredibly well under deadlines and this time of year, and National Novel Writing Month is a perfect opportunity for me. I want to do this, I need to do this. So, I've got to get this figured out today.

Well, work is pretty tense right now so I need to get cracking at some of my stuff. If I think up a plotline for my story, I'll send it your way.

Oh, and Happy Halloween.

No comments: