Monday, October 6, 2008

Lady Antebellum

About 6 to 8 months ago I was watching the country music channel on TV one Saturday morning and a catchy little song called Love Don't Live Here Anymore came on. The lead singer, a tall guy with a meticulously groomed beard had a great voice and the song just grabbed a hold of me, forcing me to listen.

I've always had a good ear for music and immediately thought, "This band is going to be really good one day." I had the same impression of bands like Tool (before they even released Undertow) , Green Day, and the Wallflowers (the pet project of Bob Dylan's son, Jakob). I listened to their song and watched their video wondering if they had any more singles released seeing as this was the first time I had been exposed to them.

I decided to go on line and do some research. The band who sang the song was called Lady Antebellum out of Nashville. They hadn't been around together long and had in fact just released their first single, the song I happened to hear on CMT. The band was made up of three friends, Charles Kelly (the tall guy and co-lead singer), Dave Haywood (a talented guitar and keyboard player) and Hillary Scott (a eye-catchingly beautiful co-lead singer with a haunting voice). Well, I was enthralled by them and checked their concert page to see if they were coming close to Fort Wayne. I was thrilled to find out that not only where they coming close, but they were actually playing at the Auburn Free Fall Fair where I could go and see them for absolutely nothing.

I was excited and told Angie I wanted to go see them when they were in town.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago...

Angie and I don't get out on our own too often. We typically have at least one, but usually both kids. Well, we had set it up a month earlier so that the kids could hang out with Grandma and Grandpa Zuber while we went up to Auburn. I was excited all day long, looking forward to seeing the band.

When we got there we were able to get good seats near the middle. We could have actually gone really close to the stage but I didn't want to be crushed by all the people that were filling in up there. We decided that our seats were good as it was and sat back and waited.

There was a good sized crowd, yet it was comfortable. I was actually surprised by how many hardcore fans there were. When the band finally came on stage some of the people were super excited.

I have to admit, even in the 6 months that I had known of the band, I only heard 3 or 4 of their songs. I did however like all of them. I was amazed on how good they sounded live, and each song had an energy to it. Some of the music was upbeat and inspiring, others were slow and moody, playing on emotions, yet beautiful all the same. I honestly have to admit that there wasn't one song I didn't like.

The show was seemed very short, getting over with just past 9:00pm (it started at 8:00). As the concerted concluded the band announced that they were selling T-shirts and CDs up at a tent near the stage. I told Angie I really wanted a CD, so we went up afterwards and waited in line. As we got to the table we saw that the three bandmates had come out and were sitting at the table signing autographs and personally greeting and shaking hands with everyone in line.

It was really cool to talk to them and thank them for entertaining us. All three of them seemed very real and down to earth. They seemed grateful that we came out and I was happy to have all three of the sign my CD.

Now I'm not saying that they are a good band because I got to meet them. They are just really goo musicians. Anyone reading this that appreciates country music would be wise to check them out, because they are just that good. You can listen to their first single by following this link to youtube: Lady Antebellum: Love Don't Live Here Anymore

Oh, one last thing, evidently others thought they were pretty good to. Lady Antebellum was recognized by the ACM as being the best new country group. Good stuff. Tell me what you think.

No comments: