Friday, October 17, 2008

Life as it is...

I haven't written in awhile, and I figured I would spend a few minutes on a Saturday afternoon typing out a few words while I have a minute. Life has not been kind as of late and everyday seems a grind. Finding the energy to put into this blog is difficult, hence the reason I haven't written lately.

Work is a pit of despair anymore. I go in everyday wondering if I'm going to be sent home without pay simply because the company can't afford to keep me right now. As I sit here typing I look down on a plant floor that has ran a total of 6 shifts this week due to low production orders from GM. People from my plant, for corporate and from the others plants have been sent home without pay, with a promise that they will be brought back to run production on Monday. That means that most people are only drawing 2 days worth of pay a week without hope for recovering any of the lost wage through unemployment. I'm hoping I don't become one of the expendable and get sent packing for days at a time.

I've approached John, the friend of mine that owns Atomic Hobbies and Games and he has offered me hours at a new mall store they are opening next week. I've already committed to working Sundays just in case as well as to subsidize my income for the upcoming holiday season. I may try to work more days during the week to get even more money. I have a feeling I"m going to need it.

Angie started her new job working as a receptionist for a Fort Wayne psychiatrist. It has been a bit difficult for me as I've had to become a lot less flexible with my time. Angie works until 5:00 three days a week and until 8:00 on two nights, which means I have to pick up the kids every night as well as prepare dinner for everyone and anythng else they might need. The kids tend to stress me out when we get home because it is typically Balin's crankiest time (he's hungry and normally tired because he doesn't nap well at the sitter's). Grace is normally very demanding of my time and between the two they are pulling me in different directions. I welcome Angie's homecomings simply because she offers a distraction for the kids. The result of her job means that I can no longer go to Atomic on Thursday's (unless I want to drive all the way back across town) so my Warmachine games are basically a thing of the past.

Megan is home right now and her presence is bringing a great deal of stress to Angie and I. For reasons not to be discussed, we would just rather she just stay at school. The house has a lot less turmoil when she isn't home arguing with Grace, trashing Balin's room, or lounging around in bed until late morning. When she isn't doing that she is typically laying down on the couch or similarly not doing much of anything.

The economy is really hurting us, though we are making attempts to reduce our spending. I will likely be canceling one of our two cell phones. We canceled some of our premiere programming for satellite TV, and we try not to go to the grocery store unless we really need to. I think we are doing okay, but only time will tell as full time babysitting costs may make things ugly for us. On a positive note, November should be the last month we have to pay our overly inflated mortgage payments, so that should help.

Tonight Grace is having a friend over to spend the night, officially making it Grace's first real sleep over she's had at our house. She's been excited about it all week. I'm glad she got the opportunity, she's a good little girl.

I finally finished Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth. It was a good book. Maybe I'll post a full review next week some time. Shortly after finishing it, I went and purchased the sequel to Pillars, called A World Without End. It too is very good and while I'm only about 80 pages in, it too is shaping up to be excellent.

Balin is still eating, and he is starting to talk a lot more. You really have to pay attention, but more and more recognizable words are coming out. Last night I discovered that he really enjoys the show Hole in the Wall. He sat there in his little rocker glued to the TV, occasionally laughing when the people got pushed into the water. It was like he was in a trance. He has also discovered a new found love for all things Elmo. He loves Sesame Street. Whenever we put his food on an Elmo plate he typically talks to the characters on it. It's pretty funny.

Our cat is getting bigger and filling out much better. He is eating a ton and while he is a good cat, I've learned I'm not terribly fond of litter boxes, especially full ones, particularly ones that he fills while we are just settling down to go to sleep. More than once I've had to get out of bed and clean the thing simply because the cat smells so bad. Oh the joys of pet ownership. As I told Angie, he's a nice cat, but he makes we wish for one more day with my beloved dog Hugh.

I need this weekend. I plan on retreating into the den tonight and getting online to play World of Warcraft with some friends of mine. It is a nice escape from reality, something that is really lacking now that I'm not playing much Warmachine. I've had a couple opportunities to play some board games with some friends but that doesn't do much to occupy my constantly racing mind. Warcraft serves that need quite well when I can escape the kids and get away.

I know things are hard for us right now, but I hold out hope that they will get better. I'm not bitter, just a bit remorseful that things are all wonderful and shiny. I dream of the days, like the day we brought Grace home from the hospital, or the day Megan got her braces off, or the first time Hughie was able jump up on the couch. With all the overwhelming issues I deal with everyday, it seems like the simple pleasures are practically ignored.

And life goes on...

No comments: