Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Wyatt Klinker Section 6

The last couple of days have not been good for writing. First off, I missed work yesterday because I was sick. Angie, Balin and I all have some kind of crud. I actually thought it was going to be a good opportunity to get some writing done, but I was lazy. I didn't really do anything and as a result, I'm a bit behind. As of right now I am about 3200 words off of my pace. Now that's not bad. I've already managed to knock out about 1700 words today during lunch. I think Angie is taking Gracie to a movie the PTA is sponsoring tonight and if I can get Balin to behave, I might be able to get back where I need to be. If not, I have every intention of getting back to my pace (hopefully ahead of pace) by this weekend. I don't have a lot of time left but the good thing is that I am on my way back down off this writing mountain. I've passed the halfway point and now all I have to do is finish. Wish me luck.

Next section now. Enjoy...

CHAPTER 7: ALEX

There is a certain rhythm about a college campus, be it one set by the constant stanza set for by the class schedules or the movements by students from one class to another. Often times students become friends and travel in the same footsteps they created days before, only in partnership with another. They tend to eat at the same time, go to the library the same day of the week, and create a predictable schedule of life. This was Wyatt’s world, something that appealed to his core persona.
As part of his weekly schedule, Wyatt would go to the library to sit for an hour or so on Thursday nights reading his literature homework. Dave was a huge fan of some hospital drama and was insistent on watching every week. On top of that, Dave was one who interacted with the television, shouting or grumbling at the characters, or worst still, making predictions about the outcome of the weekly storyline. He had tried to draw Wyatt into his weekly ritual but had given up when Wyatt had simply told him that there were some things he would not think of changing about his roommate. Not sure what to think about that statement, Dave had just given up with a shrug.
Wyatt sat in his usual chair, fighting through the complexities of Faulkner’s As I Lay Dying. It was a difficult book and he found his eyes growing heavy quite often. When he thought he would fall asleep he would set the book on his lap and look around, taking a few minutes to look at the people around him.
It was late fall and the sun had set hours ago. Yet out the window to his left Wyatt saw under the light post the figure of a woman walking across the grass to the front door of the library. He watched as she approached. There was something about her that held his attention. She wasn’t gorgeous, but she wasn’t ugly either. Her nose could be described as hawk-like, a bit too big for her narrow, almost boney facial features. Her hair was cut relatively short, and was swept back off her face. Parted in the middle, Wyatt could see as she approached that it was a brownish-red in color. Her shoulders were hunched from the cold, her hands tucked inside the sleeves of her hooded sweatshirt. She held a book close to her chest, as if to ward it from the cold.
Wyatt followed her with his eyes until she disappeared from view for a moment as she passed through the doors and into the library proper. She carried the book to the front counter and deposited it in return slot. All the while Wyatt watched her.
He noticed that though she was relatively tall, she was very slight in build. Her hips were narrow under her faded jeans and the fingers of her hands were long and nearly skeletal. Her skin was pale but flawless. Her walk was neither graceful nor clunky. She just seemed to move with a musical like cadence, formal and assured.
She turned to leave and Wyatt pulled his focus away, afraid she might catch him staring at her. He picked up his book and pretended to be reading, glancing every once in awhile to watch the young woman.
It was evident she was dreading going back into the cold. She wrapped her arms around herself and rubbed the backs of her biceps as if to will the warmth back into her body. After a moment or two of that, she blew into her hands, warming them with her breath.
Wyatt didn’t know why she compelled him to watch her, but she did. Before long, he spoke, not realizing he was doing so until it was too late.
“You know, there’s another chair here, you can sit down and warm up before you go out.”
She turned and looked at him, not knowing if he was talking to her or not.
“You look like you’re freezing to death, come on, sit down for a second,” he felt buoyed by his initial outspokenness.
Wyatt had never been very outgoing. In fact, he felt best when he just blended in with his surroundings. Every since the fight with Dave though, he had grown more comfortable with asserting himself, be it in class, in his study group, or out in public with his hall mates at dinner. This however, speaking to complete stranger, complete female stranger, was a new sensation.
“I’ve got to get back to my room. I just needed to drop off a book,” she replied, a smile flashing across her face, then immediately disappearing.
Wyatt loved her voice from the first word she spoke. It was deep and sultry without effort. He stared at her, a smile plastered across his face.
“What?” she asked, wondering why he continued to look at her like that.
Wyatt shook his head to clear his thoughts. “Sorry about that, I zoned out there for a minute. I didn’t mean to stare.”
She laughed and Wyatt suppressed a shiver. “You’re strange.”
Wyatt smiled again, “I don’t know if that is a compliment or not. Sure you won’t sit down and warm up before heading back out there?”
“I don’t know, I’ve got a ton of homework to do,” she seemed to wrestle with herself internally.
“Well you need a break from it, right?” he offered, trying to give her a reason to stay.
“Well, this walk over to the library was supposed to be my break,” she parried.
“Oh, come on now, what is another five minutes?” Wyatt surprised himself with his tenacity.
The girl looked at Wyatt, then at her watch, then at Wyatt again before shrugging then flopping down in the chair across from him.
“I usually don’t talk to strange boys in the library,” she said, smirking at him.
“Well, before meeting you I didn’t actually think I was strange,” he answered back, returning a smile.
“I’m Alex,” she said, offering her hand.
“Hi, I’m Wyatt, nice to meet you,” he said as he shook her hand.
“Geez,” he said, “you’re hands are freezing.”
“My whole body is freezing. I should have worn a jacket but my dorm is right across the street and I was just going to run over for a second,” she took back her hand and thrust both into the pocket in the front of her sweatshirt.
Wyatt allowed himself to think, “I wish I could help warm you up,” but instead said, “well, it is November.”
“Watcha reading?” she asked, glancing at the book on his knee.
“Stuff for my lit class. It’s pretty boring.”
“Yeah, I hated lit,” she replied, “you aren’t a major are you?”
“No,” he quickly answered, “I don’t think I could handle four years of this stuff.”
“Tell me about it, I struggled with the two semesters I took,” she replied with a chuckle.
“Oh, you’re not a freshman?” he blurted out, cringing as he realized what he was asking.
“Oh no, I’m a senior,” she returned, “I take it you are?”
Trapped, Wyatt admitted, “Yeah, I am.”
Alex just smiled at him, not knowing what to say, “Well,” she said glancing at her watch again, I’ve really got to get going. It was nice meeting you Wyatt. Maybe I’ll see you again around campus.”
“Sure Alex, it was nice meeting you,” he replied, not believing how stupid he had been.
She got up and walked out, using her shoulder to push against the door, allowing herself to keep her hands tucked away inside her pockets. As she pushed through the door she flashed a smile at Wyatt and shook her head. All Wyatt could do was offer her an incredibly insignificant wave as she disappeared back into the cold.

December 16th - Dear Starlog

As of two o’clock today I can say that I have officially completed my first semester of college. The unfortunate thing is now I have to go back to my uncle’s house for winter break. I tried to get my RA, Tim to let me stay here, but he said that the dorms would be closed down and the heat basically turned off. I tried to tell him that I could handle it but he just spouted off about liability and all that garbage. In the end, it was just a no, so I guess I head “home”.
I’m not sure what my grades are going to be, but I’m pretty confident. Although I hate algebra and had to get a tutor for part of the semester I think I scored a solid “B” in that. Art appreciation was not a boring as I thought it would be (though I doubt I will be striking up any conversations about Manet and his style of impressionism compared to Monet anytime soon) and I know I got an “A” in there. The final was just matching artists and titles to various pictures and I aced that. Geography was my favorite class and I figure I should get a pretty good grade in there except I know I screwed up my Southeast Asia map on the final. Oh well. My last class, lit, was okay and I did alright in there too. I kinda cheated and skimmed the last couple books we read for class but I think the strength of the first half of the term will carry me to at least a “B”. Truthfully I wouldn’t be surprised if I got an “A” or “A-minus” in there too.
Looking back I have to say that college isn’t all that bad. For the most part it is pretty anonymous. Once in awhile I open my dorm room door and someone wanders in, but for the most part people just leave you alone. Same with walking around on campus, people generally stick to themselves and that’s cool with me.
Dave left yesterday to head back to Michigan. He was looking forward to being home for a few weeks. He has turned out to be a pretty decent guy. He is still a slob, but I can live with that. It is funny about him. I noticed that people tend to look at Dave the same way they look at my friend Steve, the one in the wheelchair. It might just be Dave’s stupid t-shirts, but I think it is just Dave. He draws attention to himself, even when he is doing nothing at all. I’ve heard people talk about charisma and the natural attraction people have toward others. I wonder if that works in reverse. Do anti-charismatic people like Steve in his wheelchair or Dave with his goofy looks and vulgar t-shirts do the same thing? What does that say about me, someone who is generally overlooked wherever I go? Is there a color spectrum for charisma with most people floating in the middle where others spike at the extreme poles? I don’t know. I guess if there is I’m happy to be right in the middle.
I think I’m going to stay here in the dorms as long as I can before they kick me out. That may just be until Friday (oh, today is Wednesday) but that’s fine with me. I know there are a couple of guys down the hall that are sticking around. I may hang around with them. I just don’t want to go back to Aunt Carla and Uncle Rich’s.

1 comment:

Brian Bristol said...

Pretty good writing so far. Interesting characters.

Still not getting what the plot is though. Is this all leading up to something? Not knowing the basics of the plot in advance (like what you would read on the back cover of a book) makes this sort of seem like an unrelated string of events.