Thursday, December 11, 2008

Bad Day

Well, the thing I prayed wouldn't happen did today. As I was getting ready to leave the plant manager called me into his office and told me that my job was being eliminated due to the financial crush that is occurring in the automotive industry throughout the country.

I'm numb. That's about the best way to describe it. I really don't know what I am going to to. I almost feel a panic is starting to set in but then I manage to quell it. I'm worried about my family, my house. I'm worried that Christmas is going to be a disaster. I worry about finding a job because frankly there isn't a whole lot around here. Money is so tight with us that I need something that pays comparable to what I was making at the foundry. I worry about getting sick, because truthfully I can't afford Cobra. It is just way too expensive for the whole family.

I worry about Megan. She is reliant on my insurance right now. I don't know what I'm going to do.

Tomorrow is my official last day. I'm going to go in for a couple of hours, then head over to our corporate office to say goodbye to everyone. I doubt I will really get anything done. That said, I'm not one to slough my responsibilities. I'll go in and get the stuff done I need to get done, then I'll leave. That's it. A culmination of 12 years of service, reduce to a severance package of 6 days owed to me due to having vacation time remaining.

Wish me luck, pray for me, cut the head off a chicken and sacrifice it to the god of employment. Whatever it takes to get me back working, I need all the help I can get.

No comments: