Monday, August 25, 2008

2 Out, 5 In

This weekend was all about teeth. It was a long weekend and by Sunday night Angie was begging to let her go to work for me so she could get away from the kids. We both had our fair share of the little hellions this weekend and Monday morning couldn't get here soon enough.

We'll start with Balin. He has not been feeling well. In fact he was running afever on Friday so Angie took him to the doctor's to find out that he has 5 new teeth coming in. Yup, 5, all at once. This has turned him into a Devil-child. He may be as happy as can be at one moment, and the next he is screaming at the top of his lungs, his fingers in his mouth trying to massage the sore gums. It has been extremely trying for us. He won't sleep through the night, waking up crying once or twice a night. He won't take good naps because he wakes up and his mouth hurts. He can't eat much and we are trying to find soft foods but even with those he only eats a little bit. It has left both of us with the hope that he gets over it soon.

Grace has had her share of tooth problems over the weekend as well. The last time she lost a tooth she was initally very excited, and then proceeded to pass out cold in the bathroom. That said, this time around she was terrified of losing her newest loose tooth. She wanted it out, but as soon as we went to help her she started to lose control and just sob uncontrollably. At one time Saturday I truly feared that she would hyperventilate she was breathing so fast. She wanted me to pull the tooth and besides my own teeth, I have no experience with that kind of thing. When I had a loose tooth as a kid I just went into the bathroom and wiggled the stupid thing until it came out. Gracie would have no part of that. Finally on Sunday Angie just reached into her mouth and yanked the damned thing out. That was the end of that. Grace was fine, she didn't faint this time and was happy to put the tooth under her pillow last night with instruction to the Tooth Fairy not to take the tooth because like her first one, she was saving it.

Megan called from college yesterday. She and her roomate are both sick. Kendra has been throwing up the last three days and Megan has both a terribly sore throat and three fever blisters on her lips that hurt and cause her great consternation. I think that most of the problems come from their collective worrying, which Megan is very good at. She did say that she met a girl down the hall and has been hanging out with her as Kendra has been too sick to leave the room. It makes me happy to hear that she has started making friends. She is coming home this coming holiday weekend (I imagine it is the need to pick up some things she didn't take with her the first trip down than it is to see the family she is missing). I know I look forward to seeing her and hearing about all the new things she is experiencing. She starts class today and said she would call tomorrow (her light class day) to let us know how they are. I will post an update when I find something out.

On a positive note, Angie and I took the kids on a picnic lunch to the rose gardens yesterday. I was able to get a few pictures of the kids that I should be able to post soon (I forgot to bring my camera to work today otherwise I would have done so with this post). Balin was having tooth issues, so I only got one or two of him, but I did get some good ones of Gracie. I especially like one of her high up in a tree. It turned out very good. You'll see.

Well, that's a little taste of my weekend. Nothing else much happened. Lots of teeth, that's about it.

No comments: