Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Gracie's New Kitten

We took the plunge last Friday and went over to Megan's boyfriend's house to pick out a kitten for Gracie to bring home. She has been wanting one and we figured it was time to bring a new pet into our family. We knew that there were going to be issues when Caleb told us that all of the kittens were males. Gracie was intent on adopting either a Rosie or a Princess. We told her that she would need to pick a boy's name for her kitten. After debating on Angel, Buttercup and Butterscotch we just gave up for the night and decided to try to come up with a name on Saturday.

We went over to Caleb's house and took a look at the little things. These kittens were as tiny as they come. At only seven weeks old I was a bit worried about them being too young. We were assured that they were using the litter box and eating cat chow, so we decided to take one home. Gracie found one that she liked and we brought the little thing to it's new house.

I could tell immediately that the kitten was very scared. I wanted to sit on my lap contently. In fact, while I was sitting at the computer it climbed up my bare leg, clawing it's way to my lap. It was just terrified by it's new surroundings.

I went out Friday night and bought a litter box, a thing of kitty litter, a bag of food, some toys and food and water dishes. We should be all set.

Well, to make a long story short, Whiskers, as Gracie latter named her cat, is not doing well. First off, he is suffering from a bad case of fleas. Secondly, he has not eaten a thing since he got here. I am really worried about him. He is frail and so tiny, he really needs his food. The cat continues to be afraid. His new favorite place is to climb up on my left shoulder and snuggle against my neck to sleep. It spends its nights walking the house mewing. The storm the other night also scared the poor thing.

Caleb came over tonight and is taking the kitten home with him tonight. Gracie was in tears when we told her. We decided that the kitten needed to be with it's mom a bit longer and told Gracie that after our vacation in July we will go get him and bring him home. If that doesn't work out we will go to the Humane Society and let her pick out a much older cat to bring home.

I really don't want to let him go, but I'm afraid I'm going to come home from work, or wake up in the morning and find the little thing dead. I would hate for Gracie to experience that. Hopefully with another 6 weeks the kitten will be ready to come home to us. I will keep everyone updated.

No comments: