Thursday, May 15, 2008

13, 9, and 6 years ago today

Today is a good day. I would argue that today is the best day of the year. Let me explain.

Thirteen years ago today a mother Bassett Hound in the little town of Bluffton gave birth to a litter of 12 puppies including my wonderful dog Hughie. I've went into details about how much I loved that dog, so I won't go into anymore. Let's just say I was blessed with the best dog in the world and he came into this world 13 years ago today.

Nine years ago today Angie and I went to the courthouse in Fort Wayne and in a short but uneventful hearing received and signed the papers making me Megan's legal father. My name was placed on her birth certificate and she took the last name Bristol. I officially became a full-fledged father nine years ago. I can't begin to explain what it meant to have a daughter. It was an amazing experience. Megan is almost twenty years old now and it still means a lot to hear her call me "Dad". Megan is a good girl. We've had our moments but she continues to amaze me even today. She is a smart young woman who has maintain a strong sense of right. She makes mostly good decisions and I'm glad I've been a part of it for so long. Looking back I can say that May 15, 1999 was a good day. I remember taking Megan out to lunch then going to play miniature golf together. Our family was full, and as we thought then, complete.

Six years ago I got home from work to find Angie a mess. She was a nervous wreck as the doctor she had seen earlier that day had told her that he would be inducing labor that following Friday. I remember it was a Tuesday when I came home. I was really worried about Angie because there was nothing I could do to get her to calm down. I called the hospital and they told me to bring her in immediately. We really didn't think anything was going to happen, but we packed a bag anyway and headed to the hospital. We got there at 6:30 and they checked Angie out. She was overproducing some kind of hormone or something that they feared could be dangerous. They decided to induce labor that night.

Labor was difficult for Angie. She couldn't stop shaking she was so nervous. I tried to calm her down, but couldn't. Eventually they gave her an epidural and that was just what she needed. Angie slept through the night as I sat with her, watching television (Sportscenter on ESPN, over and over again). I also visited Mom and Bill who waited out in the lobby.

At about 4:45am it was time to deliver. Angie was ready, the doctor was ready and I was there. I'm not sure if I was ready but looking at the gathered participants, I wasn't really a factor in the readiness. At exactly 4:59am out little girl was born. She appeared very healthly. The doctor surprised us with the news that she was born with six fingers on each hand, which took us by surprise. Those fingers are now gone, but I'm happy that my girl was unique. This particular defect occurs pretty commonly in my family and I think it created an immediate bond between my mom (who was also born with this condition and my daughter). The little baby I met that morning, May 15th, 2002 was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in my life. I was so proud to be the father of our daughter, Elise.

Yeah, I said Elise. That was Gracie's name for a very short period of time. When she was born we really didn't know what to name her. A short while longer we decided on Elise but hadn't signed the birth certificate yet. It wasn't until Megan came up to visit and voiced her displeasure in the name Elise did we decide to change it. We told Megan that she could choose the name, which she did, naming her sister Grace Elenore.

Gracie has truly been a blessing from God. She is the most beautiful little girl in the world. She had grown so much in the six years she has been with us. She is now much more independent and can be a little monster, but I'll tell you, I love that little monster more than anything in this world. I would walk through fire for her without questioning it. I hate to see her get older but as she does I can't help but marvel in how special she is to me. I was placed on this earth to be her daddy, I really think that. Take away all the things I have in my life: my house, my car, my toys, my health even and I would be content as long as I could still have my little girl.

Gracie is my princess. I love her more than life itself and while she isn't quite aware of this, I will do anything I can to make her happy.

May 15th gives me reason each year to celebrate. It is a day that will always remain special to me. I love my kids and I have days like May 15 to remind me of that every year.

No comments: