Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Megan Officially a Cardinal!

Friday Megan got a large envelope in the mail from Ball State University. When she opened it, she let out a very loud scream. She had been accepted into Ball State. This comes after a very good freshman year at IPFW where she got very decent grades.

Megan had tried to get into Ball St. when she graduated high school. There really was no other college she wanted to go to. After seeing the campus with her last May, I have to say that I too am happy with her choice.

Ball State isn't a giant college, like some of the Big Ten schools, but is definitely bigger than Adrian. With 12,000 students it is much bigger, but with a compact campus, seems much smaller than what it is. It is in the same athletic conference as Central Michigan and is very comparable.

Megan will still be classified as a freshman when she heads down there in the fall because she still has only 23 credit hours under her belt. She had dropped an anatomy course earlier this semester in order to ensure her GPA would be high enough to get into BSU.

Megan will be living on campus in the fall, and already has a room mate. While at IPFW she met a girl named Kendra who also wanted to transfer to BSU as soon as her grades were at a level necessary for acceptance. Kendra is a real nice girl and should make for a good room mate for Megan. I also think that both of them will work hard seeing as their route to getting in was a bit more difficult than the other students on campus.

Megan isn't sure right now of the major she will be pursuing. She initially thought about going into Speech Pathology but has since been scared off by the hard science requirements of that field. She has talked about getting into some form of travel and tourism which I will encourage especially if she can parlay it into some kind of free vacation for Angie and I (that's a joke people).

I am very proud of Megan for this accomplsihment. First off, I am surprised she has taken college as seriously as she has. She has done a wonderful job balancing work, school and her relationship with her boyfriend and has made each of them work for her. Secondly, she is taking a huge step here. I was afraid when she and Caleb got serious that she would think with her heart and not her head. I was afraid she wouldn't give herself the opportunity to really experience college the way I did when I was her age. That said, she has told me that nothing can keep her from going away in the fall, not even Caleb. He is not thrilled about her going away, but knows that Muncie isn't that far away from Fort Wayne. I really respect Caleb for not pressuring her to stay here and if things work out for them and they are together through her college years, then I am completely happy with that. He is a good kid.

At home this should change things up a bit. We won't be able to rely on Megan anymore to watch the kids when we need it. Then again, we don't ask much of her right now, so that might not be too horrible. We will gain a bedroom which we can move Balin in to, at least for when Megan isn't home. I don't necessarily want to room to go unused, so we'll have to come up with a way we can convert it back into a place where she can stay when she is home.

Needless to say, those are some things we are looking forward to dealing with. I'm just happy that she gets the chance to go away to college. I still contend that my four years at Adrian were the very best years of my life. I hope in twenty years Megan will be able to say the same.

No comments: