Thursday, March 27, 2008

4 Days Left


This has been the longest winter I can ever remember. It seems like it turned cold in October and we haven't had a break from the snow/rain/sleet mix since then. It does my heart good to know that baseball season starts in a mere four days.

I've already asked for and been granted opening day off (which has become a bit of a tradition for me). The Tigers play the Royals at 1:05pm and I plan on being at home, sitting on my couch watching every single pitch. Angie, my wife, has to be aware of the fact that if she tries to pull me away from my den she is going to get an earful. I've already informed her that I was not coming home to watch my son, or change his diaper or play with him or take out the trash or fold the clothes or anything having to do with anything other than eating food that is bad for me and watching baseball.

That said, the Tigers are beginning to worry me a bit this year. Curtis Granderson is out for about three weeks because of a broken finger, Gary Sheffield hasn't hit anything this spring, Dontrelle Willis can't find the strike zone to save himself and when he does, the opposing team knocks the ball all over the place and Todd "Crashcart" Jones has been so horrible this spring that I anticipate many palpatations whenever he is called in from the bullpen.

There hasn't been a whole lot of positives this spring, but that said, the Tigers still have an extremely dangerous team. If they can find some of the form in their rotation and bullpen that they had two years ago, they could be a juggernaut. I have a feeling that Justin Verlander is going to have an incredible year. Along that lines, Nate Robertson has looked very good this spring and if he can give them his best year the Tigers are going to be tough to beat.

As far as batters go, Curtis Granderson has some catching up to do once he gets off the DL. I hope Brandon Inge takes this opportunity and really opens some eyes across the league. I would love to see him get traded and get the opportunity to play third base everyday. Inge may not be able to hit the ball, but he is an incredible fielder and there is nothing I enjoy more than watching someone on the hot corner make a sensational play. Inge has made plenty of those over the last couple of year.

The 3, 4, 5 of the order should just do some serious raking, but I think it is Carlos Guillen batting 6th that is going to have the best year. I think he will stay healthy, and while he hits a moderate amount of homers, he is going to have all kinds of baserunners out there to drive in this year. That part of the lineup is going to be scary for opposing pitchers.

Well, I really can't wait until the season starts. The little taste of the Japanese series between Boston and Oakland was good, but did not appease my appetite for the regular season. Greatest day of 2008 is March 31st. I kno where I'll be.

No comments: