Friday, March 28, 2008

My Little Author

As a project for school, our daughter, Gracie, had to write her own book complete with illustrations. She spent a lot of time writing The Mermaid that Explored the Sea. It was acute little story. I had to teach her how to draw a mermaid and while it was hard to not help her on the story, I helped walk her through deciding what she wanted to put down on paper. It ended up being a cute little book.

Well, she handed her book in this past Monday and yesterday she brought home a letter stating that her book had been chosen as the best in her class. She was chosen as one of 5 kindergarteners from her school to go to a young authors conference sometime in April. I am so proud of her. She is such a smart little girl and loves to do "projects" like coloring, modeling with clay, painting, and other art projects. When you see one of your children receive recognition (other than that showered on her by her family) it really makes you feel good. I really don't think that she understands how big a deal this is. Regardless, I'm looking forward to taking the time to go to her young author's conference (where she will be presenting her book to all the other kids in Fort Wayne (as well as professional authors and teachers). It really makes me feel good.

I love being a parent. There really is nothing greater in this world than that. Mt son and daughters are my greatest treasures and while life doesn't always offer a lot of personal "wins", by having children you get to experience all of their joys as well. It makes life so fulfilling sharing life with them.

No comments: