Monday, March 31, 2008

Opening Day is Finally Here!


It seems like it has been forever since the last real games were played, but finally, opening day of the Major League Baseball season is here. Those who know me understand that this ranks up there with the best holidays of the year. People wonder why I have so much passion for the sport. Truthfully, opening day is about more than just baseball. Winter is such a long, drawn out season. It is cold, it is dark and dreery. Opening day signals the beginning of spring, or warm weather and sunny days. Opening day brings me a feeling of relief, that I've made it through the worst and that the better days of the year are right around the corner. It is a symbol of spring and warm nights with a cool breeze. It is a reminder of nights where you prop the windows open, turn off all the lights except for the glow of the television, cuddle up with your little girl and watch a few innings of baseball as the twilight receeds.

I remember going to an opening day game at Tiger stadium. It was my very first professional baseball game that I saw in person. I swear the grass of the outfield wash the pallet from which the color green was pulled. I've never seen a more brillant color, glistening in a bright sunshine. Only the grass of the Garden of Eden itself could have rivaled the color I saw that day. It carved an indelible memory in my brain which I harken back to year after year.

Today the weather in Detroit calls for sprinkles with an overcast sky, chilly 50 degree temperatures, yet there is no question that spring has gotten off the bus with the rest of the Tigers who have made the trip up from Lakeland Florida.

I've taken a half day vacation today, as I do every year on opening day. The one year I didn't I couldn't get anything done at work anyways as I spent most of my time trying to figure out what was going on in the game. All I can say is that I am happy that today is here. You may not be a big baseball fan, but everyone should rejoice, the winter of 2007/08 is behind us. Welcome to spring.

1 comment:

Lonn Bristol said...
This comment has been removed by the author.