Friday, April 25, 2008

Day in the Sun

First off, I apologize for not having any updates for the last couple of days. I do a lot of this writing when I have a free moment here at work and I have been lacking on those as of late. I have every intention of keeping up with this blog, but on occasion there may be lapses. I appreciate everyone stopping by and visiting however.

This is my favorite time of the year. There really is nothing like the spring. Over the last couple of days we have been spending a great deal of time outside, just because we can. On Tuesday we all went out and Megan, Grace, Caleb and I played Frisbee in the front yard and then got the tee and ball out so Gracie could play baseball. She really liked pitching (which she confused with batting) and has since asked me everyday if we can go out and play baseball. That makes me happy, considering what a baseball fan I am.

Be have told me that I can act pretty goofy and make a fool out of myself. I find myself, as I get older, doing less and less of that. Wednesday however it felt really good just to say heck with it and let go. Gracie and I were outside and she had her butterfly net, trying to catch those fluttering white moths/butterflies that everyone sees but never really pays attention to. Well, the neighbors were all out enjoying the beautiful day, just like us. Instead of just sitting there watching Gracie chase after butterflies, I went with her. She gave me the net and we had a ball. We were running around, yelling at the elusive butterflies, jumping laughing. For 45 minutes we circled the house, vainly attempting to catch one of them. We finally did. You can see the picture of the little devil we managed to capture at the beginning of this post. It felt so good to just spend fun time with Gracie.

Days like that make me realize how special my relationship with my kids is. I love Angie, and she means a great deal to me. We found each other and began to love each other and let that grow over the years. The love that I have for my children however is different. It was immediate and furiously strong from the moment they were born. I can feel that same love reciprocated by them in moments like our little butterfly hunt and it truly makes my life worthwhile. Maybe that it what made this particular spring day so special. Regardless, it is a memory which will stay with me forever.

Okay, enough of that. I would be remiss if I didn't mention the little guy. Balin went outside with us the other day too. He went for a long wagon ride, towed quietly behind Angie and I as we walked around the block. We've been practicing with him, holding his hand and walking with him. He managed to walk a good distance with our help and simply lacks the courage to let go and take that first step on his own. He is such a happy baby though. This morning he heard me come out of the bathroom after my shower and started chortling in his crib. I was so happy to get to see him before I went to work. I had to work at the stotre last night until 10:00pm so I didn't get to see either of the little ones when I got home. My days always seem to go better when I get to kiss my kids good-bye before I go to work.

Okay, there is your update. I'm now about 20 minutes behind on my very busy day here at work. I hope everyone has a great weekend and between working this weekend, watching my beloved Tigers, and spending more outside time with my family, maybe I'll discover a few moments where I can post a couple more updates. Regardless, thanks for reading.

No comments: