Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Middle Class Frustration

You know, I have actually voted for Republicans in the past. I voted for Indiana's current governor, though at this point in time I wish I hadn't. Now we have this new Presidential election coming up and I have to question why anyone who makes less than a six figure salary could vote for John McCain.

McCain knows nothing about the economy, he has actually admitted it. He wants to win the election based on his strengths regarding foreign affairs. Granted, the issues concerning the Middle East are important, but the economy seems to be the 800 pound gorilla that McCain would like to ignore.

Strike ONE

McCain's idea of economic relief would be to increase tax breaks to large corporations by $100 billion. Now, I know that big companies are important, but frankly, many of the big companies I know are already finding relief by sending business to India, Mexico, China and Indonesia. What we need is something to keep the money here in the U.S.A.

Strike TWO

Another of the things that McCain would like to do is extend the tax cuts to billionaires initiated by George W. Bush. This is elitism at its worst. There are far fewer billionaires in the world than there are struggling middle class workers. Relief needs to come to those who make this country run.

Strike THREE

The war in Iraq has cost us over a half of trillion dollars so far. Oh so many years ago I read about how expensive it was to run the government and that taxes was the only way to pay for it. Well, considering we are coughing up billions of dollars a week, any Presidential candidate that suggests that we fight this war in Iraq for another 100 years cannot be elected.

Strike FOUR

John McCain has my respect. He is an American hero for what he endured as a POW. On the other hand we have to occasionally set aside our reverence for one's act of bravery, or popularity, or physical appearance and make a decision that best benefits everyone as a whole. I don't have anything against rich people. I, like many people feel that those who are impoverished must first look at what they can do for themselves before asking for handouts from others. But, as someone who has done well in life, but is now struggling in the face of a crippled economy, of a housing market that is faltering, and a country where decent jobs are hard to find, I have to wonder why you wouldn't look toward someone who has a plan for economic improvemets that could pull is out of this mire we are currently in. I do not believe that John McCain can, or will do it. I think he is looking at the Reagan theory of trickle down economics without realizing that the trickle is flowing towards citizens in other countries, not the US middle classes who in the past made this country strong.

I would love to hear your comments on my thoughts.

No comments: