Saturday, April 19, 2008

Young Authors Conference

Well, the Young Authors Conference conference has come and gone. It was really a nice time. When we got off the highway I was amazed by the traffic pulling in to the school. There were hundreds of cars. I had thought that it was just Fort Wayne Community Schools but it was actually schools from all over the place. According to the organizer there were more than 750 students participating in the conference. Considering Gracie was one of about 15 from her school, I thought that this was quite an honor.

When we got there we were given an assigned room number where we were sent to watch the other students present their book. I was surprised when Gracie told us that she did not want to read her book because she was afraid. She got over that though and after about half a dozen students had presented theirs, she stood right up and went to the front of the room.

I had hoped that she would try and read her book to us but I guess she wasn't quite over her jitters. She climbed up on the stool and when the moderators asked if she wanted to read the book or if she wanted the moderator to read it she looked at me and with a plaintiff cry asked , "Daddy, do I have to read it?"

I told her it was alright if the lady read it for her and that caused her to smile. I tell you, there is nothing that makes you feel better than to hear someone say under their breath, "She is such a cute little girl."

The reading didn't take long and Gracie veritably beamed the whole time she was up there. Not that I'm partial or anything, but of the 15 stories that were read I'm pretty sure Gracie's was the best.

When we were done there we left and went to the auditorium where got to listen to a brother and sister combination who are wildlife photographers, film makers and authors. They were really talented. Check out their website at sisbro.com.

These two individuals take still and video footage of wildlife and turn it into children's books and films. We purchased a signed copy of their DVD and it was a very entertaining little movie. Gracie really liked it and the pictures are beautiful with lots of neat little wild animals. The presentation was interactive as they talked about what it took to become a successful author. Though it was geared towards the kids, Angie and I both enjoyed it as well.

We had a really good time. I can't begin to explain how proud I am of Gracie. Her book was great, the conference was a really good time and it really enforces in me just how much I love being a father.

No comments: