Monday, April 7, 2008

Kindergartner Crack

Grace is addicted to Kindergartner Crack, otherwise known as Webkinz. My mom came down to Indiana this weekend to visit and watch the two little ones while we went to a wedding. It was all innocent until we got home and found out that my mom has been dealing in crack for kindergarteners. She bought five of these little stuffed animals for my daughter and then introduced her to their online world.

For those who don't know what Webkinz are, they are little stuffed animals, very beany baby-like, that come with little tags with an online access code. This code basically gives you the ability to log on and see your new little pet in their own little world. Within this world the little animals have their own rooms which you can equip with beds, toys, bath tubs, clothings, etc. Of course, each of these items must be purchased using Kinz cash which is earned by playing games on the webkinz website.

Most of the games are fairly simple and you can make a few kinz cash here and there. Of course, that is when the addiction sets in. Gracie wanted more, and more, and more. So, I spent the last two days trying to make as much Kinz cash as I could to help feed, cloth and house these rotten little stuffed animals. Besides that, Gracie is carrying these things wherever she goes. We had to put our foot down and only let her take 3 of her five to church yesterday.

Gracie begs to be on the computer now. We've had to put restrictions on it so she doesn't spend all her time with her webkinz. The worst part is that when she is done on the computer she begs me to play on it so I can make her more cash. She is fully addicted. I'm wondering if there is some kind of support group. I guess I should take solace in the fact that she only has five of these little devilkinz. It turns out my nephew, Garrett has close to twenty of them that he is forced into indentured servitude in order to pay for the food and lifestyle these virtual pets have come to expect.

At least now we have some pretty strong reigns we can use to guide Grace through her daily regime. I now she ate really well yesterday under the realization that if she didn't eat, then neither did her webkinz. :) I'm such a mean dad.

No comments: