Friday, April 11, 2008

Parent Teacher Conference

Yesterday afternoon Angie and I went to the school for a spring parent/teacher conference with Gracie's teacher. I always worry when we have to go in the school because no parent wants to hear that your child is struggling. Grace has been doing good in school but there were (back in November) some areas where she was lagging a bit behind.

I was happy to see that Gracie is doing exceptionally well at school. Her report card had nothing but positive marks in every area. More importantly, the teacher raved about the kind of little girl Gracie is. Mrs. Johnston said Gracie was the kind of child that made her happy she was a teacher. She is the most loving child with a contagious smile. Everyone in the class loves Gracie and her positive attitude. While she like to be social (i.e. she loves to talk) she works hard and does well in class.

We talked at length about the book she wrote that was chosen to be presented at the young author's conference next Saturday. Mrs. Johnston said that the book was Grace, that it represented the kind of child she was and she could see Gracie writing it. She said that each child had to present their book to the class and you could tell which students had significant help with their books because they couldn't tell you what the words read. Gracie on the other hand presented her book word for word. It was apparent that she had done the work and put a great deal of effort into it.

Gracie is going to present her book on the local access television channel today (unfortunately our sattelite provider doesn't carry that channel. Additionally I guess Gracie was chosen to do some more television work by introducing some kids that are doing some kind of song and dance number on the school television program. That would be something if Grace picked up an early passion for broadcasting. That would be a nice future for her (of course I'm just a dad with a dream for his daughter).

Mrs. Johnston said that Grace is a very talented little girl. She has no problems speaking in front of a group, is extremely artistic, and recently they've started working on their lip sinc presentation and Gracie has shown off her dancing abilities (I guess her ballet classes have helped).

If was just a brief fifteen minute conference but what it did was enforced my belief that Angie and I have a very special little girl. The most rewarding thing that can be said to a parent is how loving and wonderful their little ones are and we feel truly blessed that Gracie is that kind of girl. I hate seeing her grow up, as it pulls at my heart everytime I see her do something that tells me she is getting more independent, less reliant on her daddy. I want her to stay my little princess forever. That said, I am proud to know that we are raising a wonderful little girl and it makes me proud to be her father.

No comments: